to this page's content
A-Z text only index of all UVic websites
Help for users with screen readers
Ocean Acoustics Home
Ph.D.: University of BC
School of Earth and Ocean Sciences
University of Victoria
PO Box 3055
(250) 472-4620 (fax)
Courses that I have taught:
EOS 370: Plate tectonics, Earthquakes and Natural Hazards
EOS 460: Earth System Science
EOS 480: Applied Geophysics
EOS 516: Ocean Acoustics
My research interests are in seismo-acoustic propagation, with specific application to the study of marine gas hydrates, and development and application of acoustic inverse methods for estimation of geophysical properties of the ocean bottom and for source localization.Research Projects:
1. Chapman, N.R., Ozard, K.S. and Yeremy, M.L., Error bounds in matched field inversion for geoacoustic properties, accepted in J. Comp. Acoustics, 1998.
2. Elisseef, P., Schmidt, H., Johnson, M., and Chapman, N.R, Acoustic current tomography of a coastal front in Haro Strait, submitted to J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 1997.
3. Chapman, N.R and Hannay, D.E., Broadband matched field inversion for estimation of geoacoustic properties, in Shallow Water Acoustics, R. Zhang and J. Zhou editors, pp 145-150, China Ocean Press, 1997.
4. Pignot, P and Chapman, N.R., Tomographic inversion of geoacoustic properties in a range dependent shallow water environment, submitted to J. Acoust. Soc. Am., August, 1998.
5. Musil, M, Chapman, N.R. and Wilmut, M., Range dependent matched field  inversion of Swellex96 data using the downhill simplex algorithm, submitted to J. Acoust. Soc. Am., August, 1998.
6. Musil, M., Wilmut, M. and Chapman, N.R., A hybrid simplex genetic  algorithm for estimating geoacoustic properties using matched field inversion, submitted to IEEE J. Oceanic Eng., August, 1998.Back to Top