Economics Graduate Program
Introduction to the Graduate Program
Welcome to the Department of Economics' Graduate Program. Join our group of vibrant graduate students and highly regarded expert faculty. We will help you to build advanced skills in economics to either prepare you for doctoral studies or for research, analysis, academic and non-academic careers.The Department of Economics is recognized for its strength in both research and teaching and offers an MA Program and a PhD Program. Both programs combine strong training in core economic theory and econometrics with electives in applied areas and a Co-operative Education (Co-op) option that provides paid, hands on employment experience.
Our students get tenure-track positions as well as college teaching jobs, are hired in the public & private sectors as Economists and Analysts, publish books and articles, and present their research at international academic conferences. They also win international, national, provincial, university, and private awards and fellowships at an unprecedented rate.
Why Economics at UVic?
- We offer a wide and interesting range of courses each year
- Small class sizes
- Funding packages automatically assessed for each applicant
- Academic excellence in diverse areas of economic research
- Interactive teaching and learning
- Co-operative (Co-op) Education Program which offers paid, hands on employment experience
- One-on-one supervision which has led to joint faculty-student publications
- Active Seminar series which provides students, professors & guest lecturers an opportunity to present their ongoing research
- Excellent student support networks (e.g. Graduate Student Society, International & Exchange Student Services)
- Our Grads get jobs!
- Beautiful campus & city with many opportunities for entertainment & outdoor recreation
- It's a life changing experience! For first-hand experiences see our student profiles.
Although there is a high level of academic achievement, the department seeks every opportunity to socialize, meet, and talk about our lives and work. We try very hard to support graduate students in every way possible doing all that we can to make sure that they succeed both in the program and upon graduation.
We invite applications from all students with backgrounds in Economics, excellent grades, and a passion for theoretical and applied economics and econometrics. To receive further information on applying to our program, please see the Prospective Students page.
- 2013-05-29 - Lecture/Seminar - Brown Bag Seminar - Daniel Rondeau
- 2013-06-12 - Lecture/Seminar - Brown Bag Seminar - Carl Mosk
- View all events on the UVic Economics calendar