Giving to the school
Your gift to the School of Environmental Studies can help provide funding for things such as:
- Scholarships to help make education and research possible
- Support is needed for the proposed Strategic Ecological Recovery Initiative, and for our research into the social and economic costs of species at risk
- Better technological and instructional resources to improve education and research in environmental studies
The School of Environmental Studies is blessed with friends who have provided generous support for student and faculty projects. Recent gifts include:
- The Dr. Lorene Kennedy endowment, which supports a variety of School initiatives
- The Dr. Lorene Kennedy Bursary program, which is the largest department/school-based bursary program at UVic and supports several dozen graduate students, ES majors and RNS students each year
- The Stephen Canning Memorial Scholarship, awarded to a student each year who manifests Steve's remarkable sense of adventure (much of the funding for this scholarship was raised by Steve's friends and family)
- The Gordon & Joan Alston-Stewart Scholarship
- The Vicky Husband Scholarship
We are presently working on two major campaigns. The first is an endowed professorship in Biodiversity Conservation and Ecological Restoration in honour of former UVic Chancellor Ian McTaggart-Cowan. We have received a pledge for annual salary support valued at $1 million (in terms of capital) and have secured $650,000 towards the funding goal of $1 million.
A Leading Edge Foundation Professorship in Cultures and Ecosystems at Risk (teamed with the Department of Anthropology), which comes with $2.25 million in funding commitment and is contingent on a matching donor(s). Dr. Wade Davis is our nominee, and we look forward to securing this important legacy for UVic and the School of Environmental Studies.
Endowment gifts reflect the tradition of generousity perpetuated by people who care deeply about the school's mission. Gifts to endowed funds assure a vital future by providing an on going source of income every year.
Your gift is welcome regardless of size. There can be tax advantages of gifts of stock or other planned gifts. Read more.
If you have questions or are considering helping the School, please contact Peter Stephenson, Director, or Barbara Roberts, the Development Officer for the Faculty of Social Sciences.