European studies concentration
Political science major with a concentration in european studies
The European Studies Concentration is a specialisation in European Studies designed for students in Political Science. This allows students to immerse themselves in European politics while comparing and contrasting European and Canadian systems. Concentration students are also required to spend one term of study in Europe, allowing them to experience their area of study first hand!.
Concentration requirements -
- POLI 211 and 311
- 4.5 units of courses on European Politics chosen from the following selection of set of courses:
* 300A Ancient and Medieval Political Thought
* 300B Early Modern Political Thought
* 300C Post Enlightenment Political Thought
* 314 British Government and Politics
* 340 International Studies
* 379 Topics in Contemporary European Politics
* 414 Politics in the European Union (Seminar Course)
* 431 Comparative Political Analysis (Seminar Course)
* 319 Issues in Comparative Politics
* 349 Issues in International Politics
* 433 Issues in Politics (Seminar Course) or
* A seminar in selected contemporary political issues
- 6 units of courses on European History or Culture, including at least 3 units at the 300 level or above, to be approved by the Director of European Studies.
- 9 units of courses in a modern European Language (e.g. French, German, Italian, Russian or Spanish)
- One of the Following:
- -EUS 390 (1.5 units);
- -a minimum of 1.5 transferrable units from a European university obtained through a UVIC International Exchange Program
- - a minimum of 1.5 tranferrable units from a European university through a Letter of Permission
- - or a minimum one Co-op work term in a European Country through the Social Sciences Co-operative Education Program
Please contact the EUS program office at email@example.com for more information.
Download the EUS Concentration Program Form.
Dr. Stefan Seidendorf of the Franco-German Institute in Ludwigsburg, Germany is visiting UVic on January 24th and 25th and will be presenting two seminars: January 24th and 25th.
West Coast Model EU 2013
Applications for West Coast Model EU 2013 at the University of Washington are now open! Please send your CV and letter of intent to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15th. If you would like to act as advisor on this trip, the deadline is October 20th.
More information, e-mail us or access the WCMEU 2013 website.
NEW EUS 100 COURSE - FALL 2012
European Studies is now available at the 100 course level. It is an introduction to European Studies and it is coming out very promising. This course is also part of our Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence curriculum.