Welcome to the Faculty of Humanities
Do you ponder the meaning of life? Do you love literature? Do you wonder about the development of ideas over time and around the world? Do you want to study languages to expand your perspective and contribute to the global community you live in? Do you care about how history can help shape the future? Then you need to study the Humanities!
The Humanities have always been the foundation of a university. Our courses are the place to study and expand expressions of the human spirit. Languages, narratives, philosophies, histories — we bring these all together in a critical context of analysis, interpretation, research, and communication. Humanities students ask — and answer! — questions about the place and value of the individual in the human community, the function of tradition in times of intense transformation, and how best to give guidance to humanity as it moves into an ever uncertain future.
What’s more, Humanities degrees offer students a range of valuable professional skills — not just critical thinking, analytical skills, research methods, writing and other communication skills but also a rich understanding of cultural and global contexts that will prepare you for life and work in the twenty-first century. Did you know we offer both BA and BSc degrees? It's true — and the Faculty of Humanities contributes to UVic's status as a world leader in the preservation and revitalisation of indigenous languages.
Come join us in the Faculty of Humanities, for an education that matters to you — change your life, change yourself, change your world!
For the Next Week:
- CAFE CONVERSATION 2: intermediate to advanced level... Mon, Mar 10, 2014
- Fallout from Fukushima: Nuclear energy, political positioning, civil society and social consequences... Tue, Mar 11, 2014
- Nuts & Bolts: User-Testing DH Prototypes... Wed, Mar 12, 2014
- THE OTTOMAN FRONT: The Great War in the Middle East... Wed, Mar 12, 2014
- CAFE CONVERSATION 1: beginner to intermediate level... Wed, Mar 12, 2014
- CSRS Public Lecture Series - Dust & Bones - Panel Discussion on Ancestral Burial Sites of the Co... Thu, Mar 13, 2014
- Brown Bag: Joel Legassie on "Hokkaistory: A digital exploration of space, time and historical n... Thu, Mar 13, 2014
- Lunch and Learn: Considering the Implications of the Concept of Indigeneity for Land and Natural Res... Fri, Mar 14, 2014