Effective June 28, 2010, the Technology Solutions Centre (TSC) provides institutional technology acquisition assistance to faculty and staff. It is the first point of contact for all institutional technology acquisitions. Click more to access further details.More
Environmental stewardship & sustainability
According to NIGP, Social Responsibility is defined as an agency's positive impact on society and the environment through its business operations and services provided, and through its interaction with key stakeholders such as employees, communities and suppliers in the areas of: Community, Environment, Human Rights, Safety, Financial Responsibility, Ethics, and Diversity.
The University of Victoria and Purchasing Services are committed to measurable practices that balance economic priorities with values and considerations in all of these key areas, through campus operations, community, and individuals.
We encourage internal users and external suppliers to:
- identify products, services, or processes that promote environmental stewardship and social responsibility,
- offer enhanced competition for products, services, or processes that are more environmentally friendly, and as alternates to those specified, and
- clearly identify environmental benefits with supporting data, for example: reduced life cycle costs, reduced energy consumption, recycled content, recyclability, extended product life, and decreased maintenance.
- Responsible supply management considerations at UVic
- Sustainability at UVic
- Green purchasing
- More info and resources
- Develop ethical procurement practices for the acquisition of all products, services, technology, and construction required by the University.
- Encourage environmentally friendly practices within the campus community with our suppliers, and the community at large.
- Encourage our respective organizations, others, and the general supply community to be proactive in examining and implementing environmentally responsible opportunities. For example, Park and Ride; Refundable Beverage Container Return Program; e-Waste.
- Respect our customers, employees, and suppliers.
- Treat our suppliers, employees, and customers with dignity and fairness.
- Avoid complicity in human or employment rights discrimination within the supply community.
- Promote a safe environment by continuous deployment of procurement workplace safety practices throughout the organization.
- Proactively promote and develop socially diverse suppliers and internal users.
- Apply and promote sound financial standards, practices, and behaviors to ensure transparency and fairness.
- Conduct audits to determine and improve social responsibility impacts.
- Develop a social responsibility and sustainability plan that integrates campus planning, infrastructure development, procurement, and technology deployment in all aspects of operational analysis.
- Attain best value over the life cycle of an acquisition that leverages environmental, social and ethical considerations.
- Collaborate with other organizations, public sector agencies, suppliers, and the business community to advance sustainable procurement practices.
Responsible supply management at UVic
- Open, fair, transparent, and competitive procurement and sourcing practices.
- Non-Sweat Shop/Child Labour.
- Moral Issues.
- Ethical Issues - Consumption.
- E-Waste - April 1, 2007 Implementation.
- Commercialization - Branding.
- Automatic Duplex Photocopying.
- Fair Trade Coffee Programs.
- Dischargeable Battery Recycling Program.
- Printer Toner/Cartridge Recycling Program.
- Technology Recycling Program (e-Waste).
- Furniture Recycling and Disposal Program.
- Photocopier/Bond Paper - Post-Consumer-Waste Content - 30% minimum on colour paper.
- Photocopier/Bond Paper - 100% Post Consumer Waste Program
- Virgin Fibre Bond Paper Restrictions.
- Chemicals and Hazardous Material Recycling and Disposal Program
- Shipping and Packaging Removal and Recycling Program (plastic, cardboard, metal, wood, Styrofoam, etc.)
- Printshop Chemicals - Vegetable Based Product
- Tire Recycling
- Beverage Container Refundable Recycling Program - In Progress
More info and resources
- Role of Purchasing in the Sustainability and Social Responsibility Equation (PowerPoint)
- Carbon Offset Vendors (David Suzuki Foundation)
- Common Energy
- Ecolabel Index
- Ethical Purchasing Forum
- Going Beyond Climate Neutral, Oct. 12-14, 2008
- Integrated Resource Management Study: B.C. Government
- Personal Emissions Calculator (EPA)
- Sustainable Public Procurement Presentation (Oct. 14 2010)
- "Consultations coming for UVic sustainability policy" The Ring, Vol. 34 No. 3, March 6, 2008
- Green Purchasing
- Video: Preparing Electronics for Recycling at UVic
- Sustainability at the University of Victoria
- What Happens to Your Hard Drive? - Secure Electronic Media Destruction
- Supply Management Social Responsibility and Sustainability Objectives
Sustainable food procurement
UNIGLOBE Geo Travel is the University of Victoria's preferred travel service provider for non-employee travel.
Phone: 1-250-386-8444 (press 1)
Toll-free: 1-800-457-6449 (press 1)