Interested in learning how to sail? Here's everything you need to know to get started:
- We offer beginner and intermediate sailing lessons
- To find out when lessons are, go to the Vikes Recreation registration page, or take a look at our calendar
- Beginner lessons are for people with little or no sailing experience, you don't have to know anything.
- Intermediate lessons are designed for those who have completed the beginner sailing lessons, or have some sailing experience.
- Lessons are taught by experienced and qualified sailing instructors.
- Lessons times and dates can be found on the Vikes Recreations registration website here.
- Sailing lessons are taught in small two person sail boats called "Collegiate FJ's" or "FJ" for short. You can see plenty of pictures of sailing club members sailing Collegiate FJ's here
- Instructors use motorboats to instruct students on the water and to ensure safety.
- Each sailing lesson is about 80% on water instruction, 10% on land instruction, and 10% sailing theory.
- We use the Canadian Yachting Association guides for instruction.
- There are 4 sailing lessons in each session.
- Check the Vikes Recreation registration page here to see what registration costs
- Contact us to learn more about the lessons we offer, or if you are interested in instructing.
All sailing lessons take place at the UVic Sailing Compound in Cadboro/Gyro park. Take a look at the map below to see how to get there from UVic.
You will get wet during your sailing lessons, so prepare. Here is a guideline of what to wear for your sailing lesson.
View Larger Map
- Waterproof/ Windproof Jacket (You can pick up a UVic Sailing Club Splash Jacket for only $65 by sending us an email at
- Rain Pants
- Shoes that you don't mind getting wet.
- Warm cloths that can get wet if its cold.
- Again, You will get wet.
If the sailing lessons are full, or you can't attend your lessons anymore, post your lesson wanted or lesson for sale add on the UVic Sailing Club facebook group.