University of Victoria chapter
. . . going forward together
- the UVic PEA executive
- UVic Local Representatives
- UVic PEA committee members
a few documents
- our collective agreement
- our benefits handbook
- professional development policies
- ProD expense claim form
- performance review
- UVic PEA news
- University Human Rights Committee Recommendations
links of interest
- join the UVicPEA listserv
- unofficial Pension Plan performance
- UVic Human Resources
- employee & family assistance
- UVic Transit options
- linking professional unions
- news from the labour world
- the Association (PEA) website
- UVic's home page
UVic PEA Annual General Meeting - Thursday, November 14, 2013
Dear UVic PEA Members,
The UVic Chapter AGM will be held on Thursday, November 14, 2013 from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm in the Arbutus-Queenswood Room of the UVic Cadboro Commons building.
A light luncheon will be served for the first 90 members.
The proceedings will start at *noon* to give members a time to have lunch and to socialize before the meeting.
We encourage as many members as possible to attend this important Annual Meeting. Please see the agenda below.
0. Lunch, Welcome and Introductions
1. Approval of Agenda
2. Approval of the Minutes of the 2012 AGM
3. Chapter Annual Reports:
3.1 Chair's Report (John Foxgord)
3.2 Treasurer's Report (Vincent Connor)
3.3 Association Executive Report (John Hall)
3.4 Labour Relations Officer Report (Melissa Moroz)
3.5. Committee Reports:
3.5.1 Elections Committee (Cliff Haman)
3.5.2 Association/University Committee report (John Foxgord)
3.5.3 Local Representatives Committee report (Sheryl Karras)
3.5.4 Seminars Committee report (Sheryl Karras)
4. Update on the setting up of a Bargaining Committee for the next round of bargaining that is due to start in the Spring of 2014.
5. Election of the 2013/14 Elections Committee (5 members)
6. Other Business
BargainingTo all members of the UVic Chapter of the PEA:
The UVic Chapter of the PEA needs three members-at-large to sit on the Bargaining Committee for our next Collective Agreement.
Article 13 of the Chapter Constitution specifies that the Bargaining Committee will consist of six voting members appointed by the Executive - three members from the Executive, three members selected from the membership at large and the PEA Labour Relations Officer assigned to UVic. The Bargaining Committee will:
1. identify and represent the needs of the members including preparing the member survey;
2. research and develop bargaining positions
3. assist the Professional Employees Association in negotiating our Collective Agreement.
The majority of work involving research, collating results of the upcoming membership survey and writing bargaining proposals will be done by the Labour Relations Officer. The committee will then meet to decide what issues will be presented at the bargaining table. Bargaining will involve meeting with UVic's Bargaining Committee, made up of staff from UVic Human Resources as well as UVic Faculty and management employees, as often as necessary to complete a new Collective Agreement. The Labour Relations Officer will be the chief spokesperson for the PEA and Committee members will contribute as necessary.
We expect bargaining to start in March of 2014, however, the Bargaining Committee will begin meeting in late 2013 or early 2014 to develop proposals.
The time commitment can be significant: as much as 2-3 days per week for between 4 and 12 weeks, depending on the flow of negotiations.
Although the work of the Bargaining Committee can be stressful and time-consuming, contributing to a positive work environment at UVic can also be a rewarding and educational experience. Some of our members have recently attended a training course on bargaining and we encourage them to volunteer as well as any of our members who are interested.
If you are willing to be considered for membership of the next Bargaining Committee of the UVic Chapter of the PEA, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, 8 November 2013 with:
1. a brief description of your background and employment at UVic
2. a statement describing your reasons for volunteering.
Please send comments to webmaster