A/U Committee Report 2009
The A/U Committee met monthly over the past year, with breaks taken during the summer. The current membership on the committee is:
Professional Employees Association:
• Cliff Haman (PEA Executive Chair)
• Tom Gore
• Paul Hilchey
• PEA Labour Relations Officer
University of Victoria:
• Steve Gorham (HR)
• Janice Johnson
• Eric Mayes
• Various HR Consultants on a rotating basis
This year, the main issues the committee discussed included:
• The continuing discussion of appropriate use of Term Positions
• The selection process for director or administrative equivalent and more senior administrative positions.
• Consistent use of Article 5.08: Arbitration of appointments
• Most recently sick/vaccination leave and H1N1 issues
The committee also discussed numerous member issues ranging in topics such as LTD, return to work accommodations, hours of work definitions, and discussions centered on reasonable vacation restrictions during critical cyclic periods.
A/U remains an effective committee to ensure that the spirit of our collective agreement is adhered to. The A/U Committee also provides a platform for the PEA to ensure policy that affects our membership receives input from the PEA and appropriate attention from the University.
If members have issues they think should be brought forward for discussion at the A/U Committee, please contact any member of the committee or our staff officer.
I respectfully move acceptance of this report.