Professional Employees Association Chapter Executive Meeting
Minutes for Friday 16th June 2006 11:30am-
1:30pm Mac D114
Present: Bill McGhee (chair) Tom Gore, Ian Thornton, Sheryl Karras,
Ali Abbot, Vincent Connor and Tony Bute (staff)
Regrets: John Foxgord, Bert Klatt
1. Appointment of minute taker: Tom Gore
2. Approval of the agenda: Gore/Thornton M/S/C
3. Approval of the minutes: of June 2nd, 2006
4. Urgent Business
5. Chair's Correspondence and Remarks
- 41 JE implementation (Bute): meetings will be held for members
on June 27th at noon and 4pm in Mac D116
& June 28th at noon in DSB C103
- 42 LRs’ JE meeting (Gore): move to fund a lunch meeting on
Friday, June 23rd
- 43 PEA Pond Party (McGhee): final planning a band is in place
for the June 20th event and notices have
been sent out.
- 51 Guy Vetrie Memorial Fund (Connor): a cheque for $500 has been sent
to the Memorial Fund.
7. Business Arising
- 61 Treasurer (Connor): the 2006 chapter grant of $6,745 has been
received from the PEA. Or balances are: Coast Capital $961.99 and
EASY $2,092. All current liabilities are covered.
- 62 Labour Relations Officer (Bute) : copies of the UBC AAPS
newsletter were circulated. There was a recent Benefits Committee
meeting concerning the application of Sick Leave and its impact on Long
Term Disability eligibility.
- 63 Chapter Committees
- 631 Local Representatives NTR
- 632 Seminars (Karras): 174 members completed the seminars
survey. Bocce ranked high in interest along with pensions and
- 64 Joint Committees
- 641 Association/University Committee (Bute): the last meeting was
cancelled. The next will be on June
29th. Topics will incluss CASS, ProD
and the HR strategic plan.
- 642 Benefits Committee (Thornton): There will ibe increases in
the Long Term Disability insurance premiums and next year other benefit
costs will increase as a result of bargained improvements.
- 643 Job Evaluation Committee (Bute): Ted Burn’s partial report
has arrived, concluding that JE was a thorough, careful and equitable
process. UVic has agreed to no cap on new salaries and are not
costing increments. Final placement letters will go out next
- Moved that retro payments be made to former employees who left UVic
between now and July 1st, 2005.
- The present “Job Families” will be replaced with about 16 “job
- 644 Employment Equity & Human Rights Working Group (Abbot): met
on June 12th.
- Moved to donate $100 to the President’s Day of Welcome Gore/Karras
- 645 Educational Equity & Human Rights Working Group NTR
- 646 Mental Health Committee NTR
- 647 Campus Planning Committee (Gore) there is a proposal to
merge the Campus Planning Committee with the FDSS.
- 648 Project Nova Steering Committee (Connor) Code “Yellow” has been
issued, targets may not be met and great unpleasantness may ensue.
- 65 External Committees
- 651 Association Executive (Gore) the Association Executive mety at
Dunsmuir Lodge on May 15th. The
Association welcomed its 10th bargaining
unit, the Law Society Lawyers Chapter. Next meeting will be on June
26th in Vancouver.
71 It was
noted that a member whose name had been put forward was overlooked in
making a recent appointment.
Advisory Committee to HR” was discussed. While CUPE is involved,
the PEA knows nothing about this committee.
8. Other Business none
9. Adjournment M/S/C at 1:23pm
Next meeting of the UVic P.E.A.Chapter Executive: Friday July
7th 2006 from 11:30am- 1:30pm
David F. Strong Building C114