Notes and Acknowledgment
1. David Lai, "Chinese Opium Trade and
Manufacture in British Columbia, 1858-1908," Journal of the West Vol.
38 No. 3 (July 1999): 21.
2. Barbara Hodgson, Opium: Portrait of the Heavenly Demon (Vancouver:
Greystone Books, 1999), 19.
3. Lai, "Chinese Opium Trade," 21.
4. Victoria City Archives, City Clerks Office, Series II, File 10 1894,
letter to mayor of Victoria, June 22, 1901.
5. David Lai, Chinatowns: Towns Within Cities in Canada (Vancouver:
UBC Press, 1988), 219-222.
6. Lai, Chinatowns, 219-222.
7. Lai, "Chinese Opium Trade", 23.
8. Lai, "Chinese Opium Trade", 23.
A large portion of the pictures found on this site were from Barbara
Hodson's book Opium: A Portrait of the Heavenly Demon. The pictures
were vivid, complete, and captivating. I could not help but use many
of these pictures for the difficulties in obtaining such a diverse collection.
I would also like to thank Dr. David Lai for his support with this project
and his on-going Victoria Chinatown rehabilitation works. Without him,
the history behind Victoria's Chinatown would have been largely obscured.