The town of Esquimalt is distant three and one-hald miles
from Victoria, and lies on a peninsula separating Esquimalt
Harbor from the Royal Roads. Here are an arsenal buildings,
where large quantities of naval and ordnance supplies are
stored, a naval hospital, a dockyard and a powder magazine,
the latter on an island in the northern portion of the harbor.
Esquimalt has two churches, a public school and a number of
business buildings and residences. Its advantages as the terminal
for a railway are well known and appreciated, and will soon
be utilized by the construction of the Island Railway.
Illustrated British Columbia, 1884