The sciences of the self includes the inquiry into animal and vegetable life. Comparisons abound.
- Chaucer, The Nunâ€™s Priestâ€™s Tale and Mancipleâ€™s Tale
- Albertus Magnus, On Animals, pp. 816-21
- Bartholomaeus Anglicus, On the Properties of Things,Â Book III, on the animal body.
- Cohen, â€œInventing With Animals in the Middle Agesâ€
- Kohn, How Forests Think (on â€œtrans-species pidgins,â€ pp. 143-44)
- Browse Medieval Bestiary
- Recommended: Calarco, Zoographies;Â Acampora,Â Corporal Compassion; Tyler,Â Ciferae: A Bestiary in Five Fingers
Take a look at these images, one of cannabis and the other of industrious bees!
British Library, Sloane 1975, fol. 44v, Medical and Herbal Collection
MS. Ashmole 1511, The Ashmole Bestiary