Let’s begin with bio-social processes and living potential. How do creatures develop? What explains deviation? What counts as human?Â
- Gower, Prologue to the Confessio Amantis
- Sir Gowther (onlineÂ and available in translation)
- Brunetto Latini, The Book of the Treasure (sections 13, 99, 100, 101)
- Bartholomaeus Anglicus, On the Properties of Things (trans. J. Trevisa). Read Book VI, on the estate of man (pp. 291-300)
- Nicole Oresme and the Marvels of Nature (on monstrous births, pp. 233-53)
- Hippocratic Writings, ed. Lloyd
- The Seed, pp. 317-23.
- The Nature of the Child, pp. 324-46.
- Browse The Trotula: An English Translation of the Medieval Compendium of Womenâ€™s Medicine, ed. and trans. Monica Green.
Blog post on â€œvertuâ€
English gynaecological handbook in BL, Sloane MS 249, fol. 197r