· Professor Emeritus of Islamic History Specialist in the Qur'an and the history of its interpretation
· Senior Research Fellow - Qur’anic Studies, Institute of Ismaili Studies, London
Email: email@example.com (this is the best way to contact me)
Phone (1) 250 721 7382
(History departmental office – messages can be left but there will be a delay
before I get back to you)
c/o Department of History, University of Victoria, PO Box 3045 STN CSC, Victoria BC V8W 3P4, Canada
My textbook, Muslims: their religious beliefs and practices, has appeared in a new 4th edition (2012) and has a new accompanying website:
Make sure you also look at Classical Islam: a sourcebook of religious literature, edited by the late Norman Calder, Jawid Mojaddedi and me, which appeared in its second edition in 2013. It makes a perfect complement to Muslims.
I am editor of Routledge Studies in Classical Islam. Please contact me if you have a book you’d like to propose.
I am no longer Editor-in-Chief of Oxford Bibliographies: Islamic Studies; please check the website for current contact information.
I am constructing a page of links to offprints of some of my essays. Check here to see what I might have added recently.
I am featured in some video material, if you prefer to learn about me that way:
* in discussion with Abdul Karim Soroush at AAR 2011
* in the University of Victoria series “Faces of UVic Research”
* at Bibliotheca Alexandrina “Heritage Continuity” May 2010, lecturing on the Qur’an (currently offline)
* giving a lecture at the Institute of Ismaili Studies in London, “Interpreting interpretation: Understanding Muslim Exegesis”
* giving a lecture at UCLA, “Making Biblical prophets Islamic” (podcast only)
* giving a lecture at the SOAS Qur’an conference 2011 on “The reception of Euro-American scholarship on the Qur’an and tafsir” (unofficial video – no longer available?)
* talking about miniature Qur’ans and myself
* venturing into more “topical” areas in Canada's War on ISIS Part 2 given at the University of Victoria March 5, 2015
* talking about Oxford Bibliographies in Islamic Studies
Some online interviews and articles about my work include:
*گفتگو با اندرو ریپین؛ استاد دانشگاه ویکتوریا، درباره دایرهالمعارف قرآن لیدن Interview in Golestan Quran magazine about the academic study of the Qurʾān and the Encyclopaedia of the Qurʾān.
I occasionally (well, hardly ever, if the truth be told) update my non-academic blog “Rippin’ Musings”, in case you want to learn more about me: arippin.blogspot.com
If you’d like to know more about life in Victoria and surroundings, highlighting things I do to keep busy beyond my academic life, the following blogs are well worth a visit:
My friend’s Oceanpax paddle run