For more up to date information on becoming a board member, please visit our new website www.communitygardenuvic.weebly.com!
The Campus Community Garden is seeking new board members for the 2018 Spring and Summer seasons!
Board members must be a current student, staff member, or faculty at UVic.
The Campus Community Garden’s Board of Directors meet regularly to make decisions and discuss the garden’s administration, finances, workshops, events, projects, and outreach.
Garden staff members are accountable to the Board of Directors. Board members are expected to take on volunteer leadership roles on behalf of the garden including tasks related to finances, outreach, infrastructure, giving gardens, compost, and education.
If you would like to attend our next meeting (tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, April 25th at 5pm), please send a message to ccgarden [at] uvic [dot] ca.
Please mention this to any students, staff or faculty who you think would be a great board member for the garden!
What does being a Campus Community Garden Board Member entail?
- An 8-12 month commitment, 12 months or longer preferred
- Attend monthly board meetings
- Manage the Garden budget
- Provide guidance and participate in decision making for the management of the garden
- Sign up for leadership team responsibilities and take initiative to ensure tasks are completed
- Develop and lead projects with the help of Campus Community Garden Staff and other community members
- *Active participation in garden work parties is NOT a requirement*
Benefits of being a CCG Board Member:
- Gain experience with organizing workshops and events, community outreach, budgeting, and managing volunteers
- Training on board governance and relevant responsibilities
- Free admission to all Campus Community Garden workshops and events (including Annual Farm Crawl & Orchard Crawl)
- Free fruits/vegetables from the giving gardens
- Gain knowledge and experience with gardening and Permaculture
- Be part of a vibrant garden community and network
- Experience to include on your CV
- Contribute to making the garden fun and awesome!
Contact the Garden Coordinator: ccgarden [at] uvic [dot] ca !
Lawn Maintenance Machines Orientation Workshop
Friday, April 20th at 3 PM at the Campus Community Garden
This workshop is open for everyone to attend, and is especially for the gardeners, volunteers and staff who help at the UVic Campus Community Garden to become more familiar with the lawn mowers and weed whackers. Important details like what kind of fuel to use, how to maintain the equipment, and safety protocol will be covered during our work party. Join us if you want to know how to best maintain your machines at home as well!
Aida Mashari runs Enduring Equipment, a business focusing on the repair and maintenance of farm and garden equipment. She got into this work when she was an organic vegetable farmer wanting to learn how to take care of the machines and other tools she was using. She is now fully focused on advancing her repair skills and teaching others who are keen to learn.
UPCOMING WORKSHOP at the Uvic Garden:
End of Season Maintenance for Small Machines
Friday, Nov 10th, 2017 – 3-5pm
at the Campus Community Garden
End of season maintenance is better for your equipment… and you’ll be thankful when the growing season starts again!
Learn how to take care of your machines and keep them running smoothly.
We will go through preventative maintenance routines that will make all your growing equipment last longer and work better for you.
There are a lot of simple things you can do to save time and money – while reducing your waste!
Workshop by Enduring Equipment www.ENDURINGEQUIPMENT.com
Annual Harvest Party
Friday, September 22nd @ 6 pm
at the Campus Community Garden
Join us at the Campus Community Garden for our Annual Fall Harvest Party. There will be be a potluck dinner and music by local artists.
Our community of gardeners including plot renters, CCG staff and board members have been working hard to keep the garden growing great, and make improvements to the garden’s infrastructure. Staff have been making weekly garden produce drop offs to the UVSS Food Bank, and planning the details of our new outdoor sink and grey water mulch basin system. Come and check it out, get your hands in the soil and fill them up with wonderful veggies!
Wednesday, August 2nd 3:30 – 5:30pm
Thursday, August 3rd 5:30 – 7pm
Work bee tasks:
- Tend to squash circle
- Harvest berries & produce for volunteers
- Prepare flower garden for new benches
- Construction of new outdoor sink
- Work on communal plots
- Turn/make compost