Avoid plant stress…by doing the following:
- building healthy soil,
- ensuring good drainage,
- don’t plant too close together,
- avoid monoculture,
- interplant (leeks, purple sprouting broccoli),
- Use alliums to disguise scent / confuse pests.
TIP: Weevils? Try using rhubarb leaves around base of plant.
To prevent pests is to attract beneficials by planting insectory plants, which include:
- Apiaceae (or Umbelliferae, or carrot family); plants in the carrot family include:
- Queen Anne’s lace
- Yarrow harvest flowers / yarrow tea
- Comfrey grown under fruit trees accumulates nutrients—cut down & mulch. This attracts beneficials assassin bugs, ladybugs, lacewings, syrphid flies, and tachinid flies.