BIBLIOGRAPHY / FURTHER READING
The content of the web pages were drawn from the following sources:
- Babul, Arif. Physics 303 Lecture Notes, Spring 1999
- Barrow, John and Silk, Joseph. The Left Hand of Creation: The Origin and
Evolution of the Expanding Universe. New York. Basic Books Inc., 1983
- Bucher, Martin and Spergel, David. "Inflation in a Low-Density Universe." Scientific
American, vol. 280 (January 1999), pp.62-69
- Gribbin, John. "Bubbles on the river of time." New Scientist, (May 12,
- Hawking, Stephen. Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays.
Toronto. Bantam Books, 1993
- Hawley, John and Holcomb, Katherine. Foundations of Modern Cosmology.
New York. Oxford University Press, 1998
- The World Book of Space Exploration: Wonders of the Universe. Chicago. World
Book Inc., 1989
- Thorne, Kip. Black Holes & Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy.
New York. W. W. Norton & Company, 1994
Here is a list of books and journal articles that may be useful for further information
on the big bang and other universe-creation theories:
- Agazzi, Evandro and Cordero, Alberto (eds.). Philosophy and the Origin and
Evolution of the Universe. Boston. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1991
- Gribbin, John. In Search of the Big Bang. Toronto. Bantam Books, 1986
- Hetherington, Norriss (eds.). Cosmology: Historical, Literary, Philosophical,
Religious, and Scientific Perspectives. New York. Garland Publishing Inc.,
- Hogan, Craig, et al. "Surveying Space-time with Supernovae." Scientific
American, vol. 280 (January 1999), pp. 46-51
- Krauss, Lawrence. "Cosmological Antigravity." Scientific American, vol.
280 (January 1999), pp. 52-59
- Linde, Andrei. "The Self-Reproducing Inflationary Universe." Scientific
American, vol. 271 (November 1994), pp. 48-55
- Sternglass, Ernest. Before the Big Bang: The Origins of the Universe.
New York. Four Walls Eight Windows, 1997
- Weinberg, Steven. The First Three Minutes. New York. Basic
Books Inc., 1993
The following are a list of Internet links that may be of interest. All were
available as of March 22, 1999.
For more information on the Hawking-Turok Instanton theory, go directly to the source
(handwritten notes) at:
For more information on the big bang and the universe:
('Ask the Astronomer's' Sten Odenwald page) http://www2.ari.net/home/odenwald/anthol/beyondbb.html
('Ask the Astronomer's' Sten Odenwald page) http://www2.ari.net/home/odenwald/anthol/planck.html
(University of Aukland's Chris King) http://matu1.math.auckland.ac.nz/~king/Preprints/book/quantcos/quant1/quantsb.htm
For extensive information on the universe-creation theories and Physics 303-related
information, see PBS's Stephen Hawking web site: http://www.wnet.org/archive/hawking/html/home.html
or Stephen Hawking's own Cambridge University web site at: http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/hawking/