Students are elected each Fall to several Faculty Committees. Student members’ email addresses are listed, so feel free to get in touch with them to ensure your views are represented.
The LSS also occasionally calls ad hoc committees.
No LSS committees currently sitting.
UVic Law Faculty Committees 2011-2012
Faculty Members: Professor O’Brien (Chair – Spring), Professor Crane (Chair – Fall), Professor Galloway
Student Members: Alex Kerner and Marie Burgoyne
The duties and responsibilities of the Admissions Committee are as follows:
- Advise Faculty Council on policies and procedures relating to the admission of students to the law school.
- Review and make decisions on applications under the two discretionary categories, Aboriginal and Special Access.
- Review the borderline Regular applicant files and assess for bonus points.
- Render decisions on deferral of admission requests
Equity and Diversity Committee
Faculty Members: Professor Pirie (Chair), Professor Richards, Professor Curran and Yvonne Lawson (Staff)
Student Members: Jasreet Badyal & Amber Hieb
The Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) is a standing committee of the Faculty of Law established by Faculty Council Resolution on April 6, 1990. The ADC’s mandate is to consider and recommend strategies for preventing and addressing systemic discrimination and bias in legal education at the University of Victoria. As part of this function the Committee monitors the Faculty’s Equity policy, receives reports from other Committees about the law school’s compliance, and reports how we are doing in an annual Faculty Council meeting each March.
Issues likely to be addressed this year are to be identified at the fall faculty town hall meeting, and throughout the academic year on an as-needed basis.
Faculty Members: Professors Adjin-Tettey (Chair), Deckha, Kodar, and O’Brien (Fall) and Yvonne Lawson (staff)
Student Members: Siddharth Akali, Alex Kerner, and David Girard
The duties and responsibilities of the Curriculum Committee are as follows:
- To review new course proposals and changes to existing courses according to criteria established by Law Faculty Council
- To review Law 343 offerings
- To make recommendations to Law Faculty Council for any curriculum changes
- To prepare the Law Faculty’s annual submission to the Senate Curriculum Committee
- Monitor the application of Faculty Equity Policies in curriculum change
- To review the curriculum as directed or required, including 1st year and upper year courses, but excluding the graduate programme with specific reference to:
- Subject content of courses
- Modes of evaluation
- Course Credit
- Course Offering
Faculty Advisory Committee
Faculty Members: Professors Foster (Chair), Deckha, Waldron and Webber
Student Members: Lyndsey Delamont
The Faculty Advisory Committee on faculty appointments is responsible for soliciting and evaluating applications for faculty positions that come available in the Faculty of Law. The Committee then advises the Dean as to recommendations for appointments.
Faculty Members: All Faculty
Student Members: Sara Cox, Amanda Aziz, Michelle Stimac, and Josh Mason
Meaghan McWhinnie and Miriam Isman, ex officio
Students on the Faculty Council represent student perspective and concerns. This position entails attending monthly meetings to discuss and ratify the workings of other committees and to deal with the overall policy objectives of the Law School. Students are encouraged to put forward motions that represent student perspectives on the policies of the school.
Financial Aid Committee
Faculty Members: Professors Crane (Chair), Calder, and Tollefson
Student Member: Michael MacIsaac and Mike Webber
The Financial Aid Committee (FAC) is a faculty-student committee of the Faculty of Law. The FAC shall consist of two Faculty representatives, one staff member, and three students. The students shall be representative of each year of the program (i.e. first year, second year, third year) and shall be chosen in a manner determined by the Law Students’ Society.
The mandate of the FAC includes:
- development of policies and procedures for the administration of the Faculty’s financial aid program;
- oversight of the administration and allocation of Law bursaries*;
- preparation of annual reports to Faculty Council regarding the financial aid program
- such other duties as may be assigned by the Dean
To preserve the confidentiality of bursary applicants, student members of the FAC will not be involved in the allocation of individual bursaries or privy to information about individual applicants.
Annual reports: The FAC will keep the criteria and processes for the Faculty of Law Bursary Program under review and shall report at least annually to Faculty Council regarding the Program, recommending changes as necessary. The FAC will also maintain statistics regarding the Bursary Program.
Student Exchange Committee
Faculty Members: Associate Dean Raven (Chair) and Professor Howell
Student Member: Rachel Corder
This committee considers student applications for our international and domestic exchange programs and nominates candidates to our partner institutions.
None sitting at this time