2014 Open Season Awards
The Malahat Review, Canada’s premier literary magazine, invites entries from Canadian, American, and overseas authors for our annual Open Season Awards. An exciting spring showcase of literary excellence, Open Season bestows a prize of $1,000 in each of three marquee categories: poetry, short fiction, and creative nonfiction.
The deadline for the 2014 Open Season Awards is Novmeber 1, 2013.
Read about the winners of our 2013 Open Season Awards here.
- Poetry: up to three poems per entry; maximum length for each poem is 100 lines.
- Short fiction and creative nonfiction: one story or article per entry; with a maximum length of 2500 words. Please indicate word count on the first page. Please double space your work.
- Entry fee required for all categories:
- $35 CAD for Canadian entries;
- $40 US for American entries;
- $45 US for entries from Mexico and outside North America.
- Entrants receive a one-year subscription to The Malahat Review
for themselves or a friend.
- Entrants may submit to any or all categories more than once; however, each entry must be accompanied by its own entry fee.
- Entrants’ anonymity is preserved throughout the judging. Contact information (including an email address) must not appear on the submission, but on a separate page, along with entry title (or titles in the case of poetry entries) and genre (for prose entries).
- Entries already published, accepted, or submitted elsewhere are ineligible.
- Previous publication is considered to be any appearance in print or online, including on or in a newspaper, newsletter, magazine, anthology, chapbook, book, website, electronic magazine, personal blog, Twitter, or Facebook. Please note that even if the print run or circulation of the print publication where the work has previously appeared is small, this is still considered previous publication. No work that has been excerpted elsewhere is eligible for submission; nor is a work that has been revised since its original publication.
- No entries will be accepted by email.
- No entries will be returned, even if accompanied by an SASE.
- The winner and finalists will be notified via email.
- Other entrants will not be notified about the judges’ decisions even if an SASE is enclosed for this purpose.
- The winner and finalists in each category will be announced on The Malahat's web site and facebook page in January, 2014.
- All winners will be interviewed. Interviews will be published on The Malahat's web site and in the March edition of Malahat lite, the magazine's monthly electronic newsletter.
- Only the winning entries will be published in The Malahat Review’s Spring 2014 issue.
- Inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send entries to:
The Malahat Review
Open Season Awards
University of Victoria
P.O. Box 1700
Victoria, B.C. V8W 2Y2
How To Pay
- All entries must be mailed. See guidelines.
- You can pay online or mail your payment with your entry.
- Please enclose your receipt with your contest entry so we can identify your online payment.
Pay by Mail
- By Cheque or Money Order: Enclose a cheque or money order, made out to The Malahat Review, in Canadian or US funds with your entry.
- By Credit Card: Complete our Credit Card Payment Form and enclose it with your entry.
Previous Prize Winners