- BENEDICK: O, she misused me past the endurance of a
- block! an oak but with one green leaf on it would have 
- answered her; my very visor began to assume life
- and scold with her. She told me, not thinking I had been
- myself, that I was the prince's jester, that I was
- duller than a great thaw; huddling jest upon jest with
- such impossible conveyance upon me that I stood like
- a man at a mark, with a whole army shooting at me.
- She speaks poniards, and every word stabs. If her
- breath were as terrible as her terminations, there were
- no living near her; she would infect to the north star.
- I would not marry her, though she were endowed with 
- all that Adam bad left him before he transgressed. She
- would have made Hercules turned spit, yea, and
- have cleft his club to make the fire too. Come, talk not
- of her: you shall find her the infernal Ate in good ap-
- parel. I would to God some scholar would conjure her,
- for certainly, while she is here, a man may live as quiet
- in hell as in a sanctuary; and people sin upon purpose,
- because they would go thither; so, indeed, all disquiet,
- horror and perturbation follows her.
This page last updated on 1 January 2003.
Send queries to Michael Best, English Department, University of Victoria, Victoria B.C. V8W 3W1, Canada.