- Sunshine and rain at once (Quarto).
- Edgar and Gloucester: the child leads the father (4.1 and 4.6).
- The "fall" from the cliffs at Dover (4.6).
- "Henceforth I'll bear/Affliction till it do cry out itself/'Enough, enough" (4.6.75-6).
- Edgar's change of accent.
- Reason in madness: Lear fantastically dressed with flowers (4.6.80):
- Lear's obsession with female sexuality (4.6.110-30)
- His awareness of the flawed nature of justice (157-69).
- False dawn: Lear is reunited with Cordelia (4.7).