The Shrew: Notes (1)
The Induction: The Mystery of the Disappearing Frame
Why a frame at all?
- A spectacularly dramatic opening
- Humour in the exploration of the interface between art and life
- The "boy" wife in a theatre of male actors (see Ind.1.104ff; Ind.2.104ff)
- Metatheatre: playing with a play within a play
- Questions raised about the levels of society: Lord and commoner (Ind.1.43)
- Prose becomes verse
- Sly becomes comfortable with his new status
- Preparation for the play to come: the status of Sly's "wife" (Ind.1.111ff)
How to deal with the incomplete frame?
This page last updated on 4 January 2009. © Michael Best, 2002.