University of Victoria Webpage
Created: September 2009
Updated: March 2015
I have worked extensively on ticket markets and ticket resale
Here is a list of my work on ticket-economics
Here are my last two papers:
(1) A policy piece on the recent bot epidemic entitled Ticket resale, bots, and the fair price ticketing curse and Online appendix
(2) A review of ticket resale in sports (written for the forthcoming Handbook of Sports Economics) Secondary Ticket Markets for Sport Events
Recent Research Papers under Review
Online Scarcity Signals: A Bayesian Persuasion Approach (with Sinan Ozel). 2017.
A Pure Hedonic Theory of Utility and Status: Unhappy but Efficient Invidious Comparisons (with Merwan Engineer). 2017.
How Robust is Cason-Plott's Theory of Game Form Misconception? (with Charles Bull, Daniel Rondeau and Maurice Doyon) 2017.
Papers Accepted and Forthcoming:
1. Cultural Consumption in Major Chinese Cities (with Fenghua Zhang, Journal of Cultural Economics, Published online 2018).
2. The Value of Online Scarcity Messages (with Sinan Ozel). Information Economics and Policy (with Sinan Ozel). Forthcoming 2018.
3. Loss Aversion and the Uniform Pricing Puzzle for Media and Entertainment Products (with Javad Nasiry. Economic Theory (Published Online 2017).
4. Sales, Quantity Surcharge, and Consumer Inattention. (with Sofronis Clerides) Review of Economics and Statistics. 99(2) 2017.
5. Do Fans Care about Compliance to Doping Regulations in Sports? The Impact of PED Suspension in Baseball (with Jeffrey Cisyk) Journal of Sports Economics 18(4) 2017.
6. Simultaneous Allocation of Bundled Goods Through Auctions: Assessing the Case for Joint Bidding, (with Daniel Rondeau and Maurice Doyen). 2016 American Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 98(3), pages 838-859.
7. Product Launches and Buying Frenzies: A DynamicPerspective (with Javad Nasiry) Production and Operations Management, 2016 vol. 25(1), pages 143-152, 01.
8. What is the cost of retaining and attracting exceptional talents? Evidence from the Canada Research Chair program . (with John Sim). Canadian Journal of Economics. 2015. 48 (5) 1635-60.
9. Unbundling Truthful Revelation when Auctioning Bundled Goods. (with Daniel Rondeau and Maurice Doyon. 2015. Economics Bulletin, vol. 35(4), pages 2512-2517.
10. Pricing Tickets for Live Events: A Few Principles and Two Tale of Two Industries. Sport & Entertainment Review. 2015, vol 1, n.2, 35-43.
My work on ticket markets (joint with Mario Pagliero) was recently cited in the New York Times (June 4th 2013), NPR and the Wall Street Journal (August 11th 2013, B1, Ticketmaster Wants in on the Scalping Act)
My work on grocery shopping (joint with Sofronis Clerides) was cited in therecord.com