Foundations of Ecology: ES509
Week 3 (September 20)
1. MacArthur, R. 1955. Fluctuations of Animal Populations and a Measure of Community Stability. Ecology 36:533. doi: 10.2307/1929601.
2. MacArthur, R. H. 1958. Population Ecology of Some Warblers of Northeastern Coniferous Forests. Ecology 39:599-619.
3. Naeem, S., L. J. Thompson, S. P. Lawler, J. H. Lawton, and R. M. Woodfin. 1994. Declining biodiversity can alter the performance of ecosystems. Nature 368:734-737.
Week 4 (September 27)
1. Likens, G. E., F. H. Bormann, N.
M. Johnson, D.
and R. S. Pierce. 1970. Effects of Forest Cutting and
Nutrient Budgets in the Hubbard Brook
40:23. doi: 10.2307/1942440.
3. Simberloff, D. S., and E. O.
Zoogeography of Islands: The Colonization of Empty
Week 5 (October 18)
1. Carpenter, S.R. 1996. Microcosm
have limited relevance for community and ecosystem
ecology. Ecology 77:
2. Schindler, D. W., K. H. Mills, D. F. Malley, D. L. Findlay, J. A. Shearer, I. J. Davies, M. A. Turner, G. A. Linsey, and D. R. Cruikshank. 1985. Long-Term Ecosystem Stress: The Effects of Years of Experimental Acidification on a Small Lake. Science 228: 1395-1401. doi: 10.1126/science.228.4706.1395.3. Srivastava, D. S., J. Kolasa, J. Bengtsson, A. Gonzalez, S. P. Lawler, T. E. Miller, P. Munguia, T. Romanuk, D. C. Schneider, and M. K. Trzcinski. 2004. Are natural microcosms useful model systems for ecology? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 19:379-384. doi: 10.1016/j.tree.2004.04.010.
4. Staddon, P., Z. Lindo, P. D. Crittenden, F. Gilbert, and A. Gonzalez. 2010. Connectivity, non-random extinction and ecosystem function in experimental metacommunities. Ecology Letters 13:543-552. doi: 10.1111/j.1461-0248.2010.01450.x.
Week 6 (October 25)
1. Gurevitch, J., L. L. Morrow, Alison Wallace, and J. S. Walsh. 1992. A Meta-Analysis of Competition in Field Experiments. The American Naturalist 140:539-572.
2. Hillebrand, H., and B. J. Cardinale. 2010. A critique for meta-analyses and the productivity– diversity relationship. Ecology 91:2545-2549. doi: 10.1890/09-0070.1.
3. Whittaker, R. J. 2010. Meta-analyses and mega-mistakes: calling time on meta-analysis of the species richness–productivity relationship. Ecology 91:2522-2533. doi: 10.1890/08-0968.1.
Week 7 (November 1)
1. Lawton, J. H. 1999. Are there general laws in ecology? Oikos 84:177.
2. Vellend, M. 2010. Conceptual synthesis in community ecology. The Quarterly Review of Biology 85:183-206.
Week 8 (November 15)
1. Parmesan, C. 2006. Ecological and Evolutionary Responses to Recent Climate Change. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 37:637-669. doi: 10.1146/annurev.ecolsys.37.091305.110100.
2. Thomas, C. D., A. Cameron, R. E. Green, M. Bakkenes, L. J. Beaumont, Y. C. Collingham, B. F. N. Erasmus, M. F. de Siqueira, A. Grainger, L. Hannah, L. Hughes, B. Huntley, A. S. van Jaarsveld, G. F. Midgley, L. Miles, M. A. Ortega-Huerta, A. Townsend Peterson, O. L. Phillips, and S. E. Williams. 2004. Extinction risk from climate change. Nature 427:145-148. doi: 10.1038/nature02121.
3. Walker, M. D., C. H. Wahren, R. D. Hollister, G. H. R. Henry, L. E. Ahlquist, J. M. Alatalo, M. S. Bret-Harte, M. P. Calef, T. V. Callaghan, A. B. Carroll, H. E. Epstein, I. S. Jónsdóttir, J. A. Klein, B. Magnússon, U. Molau, S. F. Oberbauer, S. P. Rewa, C. H. Robinson, G. R. Shaver, K. N. Suding, C. C. Thompson, A. Tolvanen, Ø. Totland, P. L. Turner, C. E. Tweedie, P. J. Webber, and P. A. Wookey. 2006. Plant community responses to experimental warming across the tundra biome. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 103:1342 -1346. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0503198103.
Week 9 (November 22)
1. Kelly, E. N., D. W. Schindler, P. V. Hodson, J. W. Short, R. Radmanovich, and C. C. Nielsen. 2010. Oil sands development contributes elements toxic at low concentrations to the Athabasca River and its tributaries. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 107:16178 -16183. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1008754107. (Tim)
2. Koelle, K., X. Rodo, M. Pascual, M. Yunus, and G. Mostafa. 2005. Refractory periods and climate forcing in cholera dynamics. Nature 436:696-700. doi: 10.1038/nature03820. (Jacques)
3. Grémillet, D., and A. Charmantier. 2010. Shifts in phenotypic plasticity constrain the value of seabirds as ecological indicators of marine ecosystems. Ecological Applications 20:1498-1503. doi: 10.1890/09-1586.1. (Steve)
4. Rohr, J. R., J. L. Kerby, and A. Sih. 2006. Community ecology as a framework for predicting contaminant effects. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21:606-613. doi: 10.1016/j.tree.2006.07.002. (Adriana)
Week 10 (November 29)
1. Callaway, R. M. 1998. Competition and Facilitation on Elevation Gradients in Subalpine Forests of the Northern Rocky Mountains, USA. Oikos 82:561-573. (Kim)
2. MacDougall, A. S., B. Gilbert, and J. M. Levine. 2009. Plant invasions and the niche. Journal of Ecology 97:609-615. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2745.2009.01514.x. (Jason)
3. Meyer, J. L., P. C. Frumhoff, S. P. Hamburg, and C. de la Rosa. 2010. Above the din but in the fray: environmental scientists as effective advocates. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 8:299-305. doi: 10.1890/090143. (Mike)
4. Peery, M. Z., and R. W. Henry. 2010. Recovering marbled murrelets via corvid management: A population viability analysis approach. Biological Conservation 143:2414-2424. doi: 10.1016/j.biocon.2010.04.024. (Jenna)
Week 11 (December 6)
1. Banse, K. 1990. Mermaids-Their Biology, Culture, and Demise. Limnology and Oceanography 35:148-153. (Katherine)
2. Hobbs, R. J., S. Arico, J. Aronson, J. S. Baron, P. Bridgewater, V. A. Cramer, P. R. Epstein, J. J. Ewel, C. A. Klink, A. E. Lugo, D. Norton, D. Ojima, D. M. Richardson, E. W. Sanderson, F. Valladares, M. Vila, R. Zamora, and M. Zobel. 2006. Novel ecosystems: theoretical and management aspects of the new ecological world order. Global Ecology and Biogeography 15:1-7. doi: 10.1111/j.1466-822X.2006.00212.x. (Thiago)
3. Brander, K. M. 2007. Global fish production and climate change. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 104:19709 -19714. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0702059104.
*** A great little essay on how to write papers and publish: pdf. Lots of great advice on how to get started writing, how to deal with bad reviews, and how to finally get things to print. Well worth your time!
++ while I have your attention, Spencer Hall's page at Indiana University is a fantastic resource for grad school advice. Wonderful stuff.
September 20: Brian
September 27: Val
October 4: Thiago
October 11: Jacques
October 18: Katharine
October 25: Kim
November 1: Jason
November 15: Steve
November 22: Tim
November 29: Jenna
December 6: Ashley