Eileen Vander Flier-Keller, University of Victoria
Dr. Flier-Keller's research is currently focused on Earth science outreach, and teacher education and professional development in Earth science, as well as science in the media, marine sediment geochemistry, and coal geochemistry and geology.
- Todd M. Milford, An investigation of international science achievement using the OECD’s PISA 2006 data set. (2009). Doctor of Philosophy dissertation, University of Victoria, Victoria, BC. http://hdl.handle.net/1828/2131
- Tania Ellen Demchuk, Surficial geology of the Komie Creek map area and an investigation of an ice-contact glaciofluvial delta, northeast British Columbia. (2010). Master of Science thesis, University of Victoria, Victoria, BC.
The central focus of this project was to develop interest in and positive attitudes toward earth science and to increase pedagogical content knowledge and experience with scientific reasoning and practice. A series of inquiry-based activities and accompanying resources have been developed for teacher professional development workshops and an Education Lab in a first year earth and ocean sciences course (EOS 120) at the University of Victoria. Relevance, constructivist approach, curriculum-linkages, opportunities for interdisciplinary associations (including language arts, mathematics and other sciences) and accompanying resources are key attributes of these successful activities, which are classroom tested and informed by teacher feedback. Teacher professional development workshops and the EOS 120 Education Lab are based on these activities and approaches. The pedagogical content knowledge is addressed by providing pre-service teachers authentic experiences in earth science using constructivist learning and instructional resources, appropriate to their development and the development of their future students.
- Anthony, R., Van der Flier-Keller, E., Stege, U., Yore, L., & Tippett, C., (2010). “The outcomes of large-scale professional development in science education: Pacific CRYSTAL”. 2010 ASTE Annual Conference Proceedings http://theaste.org/publications/
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., Clinton, L., & Haidl, F (2009). EdGEO: Helping Teachers Teach Earth Science”. Geoscience Canada, 36, No.3, (p133-138).
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., Blades, D. W., & Demchuk, T. E. (2006). Empowering student teachers to teach Earth science: A collaboration between Science and Education at the University of Victoria, Canada. In Proceedings of the GeoSciEd V International Geoscience Education Organisation “Geoscience Education: Understanding System Earth” (p. 98). Bayreuth, Germany.
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., Pyle, L. & Blades, D., (2005, May). Earth Science in the Classroom: A Lab Section for Education Students in an Introductory Earth Systems Science Course. Presented at GAC-MAC-CSPG-CSSS Joint Annual Meeting, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Blades, D., Van der Flier-Keller, E., & Pryhitka, A., (2006). The EOS 120/Education Project; Experimenting With the Science Prerequisites for Teacher Education. Presented at WestCAST (Western Canada Association for Student Teaching) Conference, Vancouver BC.
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., Blades, D., Pryhitka, A., & Demchuk, T., (2006, May). An EdGEO Lab section for student teachers in an introductory Earth systems science course: Evaluating the benefits and success of this new approach. Presented at GAC-Mac Joint Annual Meeting, Montreal Quebec.
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., Blades, D., & Demchuk, T., (2007, September). Empowering Student Teachers to Teach Earth Science: An ‘Education’ lab section ion a first year university science course. Presented at the GeoSciEd V, International Conference of the International Geoscience Education Organisation, Bayreuth Germany
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., (2006, November). Empowering student teachers to teach earth science: an “Education’ Lab section in a first year university science course. Presented at The First National CRYSTAL Conference, Edmonton Alberta
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., (2007, September). Understanding the Student Experience of Geoscience in British Columbia High schools University Student retrospectives. Presented at the Second Annual National CRYSTAL Conference, Edmonton, Alberta
- Demchuk, T. E., Vander Flier-Keller, E., & Blades, D. W. (2007, October). First year Earth Science labs for pre-Education students at the University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Presented at Annual Meeting of the Geological Society of America, Denver, CO, USA.
- Blades, D. W., Van der Flier-Keller, E., Demchuk, T. E., & Pryhitka, A. (2007, April). Grounding Earth Science in classrooms: The effects of a “pre-ed” lab section for prospective education students on achievement, science literacy and attitude in an introductory college Earth Systems course. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, New Orleans, LA, USA.
- Blades, D. W., Van der Flier-Keller, E., & Demchuk, T. E. (2007, May). The pedagogy of Earth Science: Does instructional approach make a difference for pre-Education students? Presented at the Connections 2007 Research Conference, Faculty of Education, Dunsmuir Lodge, Victoria, BC.
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., (2007, May). Geoscience in British Columbia High Schools: Understanding the Student experience – University Student Retrospectives. Presented at Geological Association of Canada-Mineralogical Association of Canada Joint Annual Meeting, Yellowknife, NorthWest Territories
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., (2007, May). EdGEO Earth Science Teacher Workshops: Current Success and Visions for the Future. Invited presentation at the Geological Association of Canada-Mineralogical Association of Canada Joint Annual Meeting, Yellowknife NorthWest Territories.
- Van der Flier-Keller, E. and Clinton, L., (2008, May). The Role of Teacher Workshops in Promoting our Geoheritage – Bridging the Gap. Presentation at the Geological Association of Canada-Mineralogical Association of Canada Joint Annual Meeting, Quebec City, Quebec.
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., (2008, June). Pacific CRYSTAL – Centre for Research in Youth, Science Teaching and Learning: Science Literacy for our Youth, invited presentation Science and Civic Engagement Symposium, Community-University Exposition, Victoria BC.
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., (2008, May). Earth Science for Society- partnering with educators to build a scientifically literate society, from the children up. Presented at CUexpo Community-University Exposition, Victoria BC. Van der Flier-Keller, E., and Giasson, J., (2008, September). Science in the Media: What is covered in our newspapers? Presented at the Third National CRYSTAL Conference, Sherbrooke, Quebec.
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., Yore.l., and Blades D., (2008, September). Models for Teacher Professional Development: Preliminary Results. Presented at the Third National CRYSTAL Conference, Sherbrooke, Quebec.
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., (2008, November). Promoting science, Math and Engineering Literacy Through Innovative, Hands-On Activities for Students, Invited Keynote Address Mitchell Odyssey Foundation Odyssey Symposium, Richmond BC.
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., (2009, March). Approaches for fostering Earth science teaching in schools; hands-on activities, classroom resources, and teacher professional development and training. Presented at the American Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, Las Vegas Nevada.
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., (2009, June). Promoting Earth Science in Schools through Hands-On Activities and Teacher Professional Development and Training: Pacific CRYSTAL. Presented at the National Association of Geoscience Teachers Pacific Northwest Section Annual Meeting, Vancouver BC.
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., (2009, December). Lessons Learned: Pacific CRYSTAL Approaches to K-12 Pre and In – Service teacher Professional Development in Earth Science. Presented at the American Geophysical Union Annual Meeting, San Francisco California.
- Anthony, R., Van der Flier-Keller, E., Stege, U., (2010, January). The Outcomes of Large-Scale Professional Development in Science Education: Pacific CRYSTAL. Themed Paper Set presented at The Association for Science Teacher Education ASTE International Conference, Sacramento California.
- Van der Flier-Keller, E., and Yore, L., (2010, December). Pacific CRYSTAL Teacher Professional Development Models: Lessons Learned. Presented at the American Geophysical Union Annual Meeting, San Francisco California.
Eileen Van der Flier-Keller, Associate Professor, School of Earth and Ocean Sciences, University of Victoria (http://www.seos.uvic.ca/people/flierkel.htm)