About Phenology of Place @ UVic
While continuing my study of the phenology of Native Plants, I've been wanting to create a web page / app / interface to access the database I created using native plant photos I've taken while a student at UVic over the last 5 years.
About Wendy Anthony
I started studying at UVic in 2009 in the Uni 101 program, aimed at reducing barriers for access to post-secondary education. Early in 2010, I began volunteering with the Geography Department Community Mapping Initiative, by assisting with the creation and updating of their website, and learning to code in Drupal.
I started taking part-time credit courses in Summer 2010, towards a double Major in Environmental Studies (Ethnoecology & Ethnobotany), and Geography (Mapping). I am currently considered to be a 4th year student, with only one more ES course to take (11 finished), and about 14 courses left to complete my Geography degree.
During the summer of 2014, I created a Directed Studies course to study Phenology of Place @ UVic, and developed a database for using 5 years of my photographs to document the seasonal phases of the leafing and flowering of Native Plants growing at UVic's Campus.
I am currently volunteering in the UVic Herbarium, learning to mount plant specimens, manage herbarium tasks, and develop an updated database.
Wendy's Previous Coding Experience
Note: Until completion of CSC 130 Mobile Applications course, all previous coding knowledge has been self-taught, with some assistance from mentors.
Responsive Web Design
- 2014 (UVic CSC 130)
- 2014 (UVic CSC 130) - Old Time Music Player App
Database Design & Management
- FileMakerPro 13: developed a database to import photographs, using metadata to autmoatically populate data fields (2014 - UVic ES 490 )
- SQLite: created a BC Weather database to analyze patterns (2014 - UVic CSC 371)
- Taught and mentored 20 women to use internet & code HTML (1996-97)
- Wendy's Old-Time Tune List (2002-2014)
- Music Links: A Few of My Favourite Things (2004-2014)
- My Seasonal Roundabout @ UVic (2010-2014)
- Phenology of Place @ UVic (May 2014 > ongoing)
- Mentored 3 girls at UVic's Girls Learning Code Day (Nov 8, 2014)
- Mentored 2 girls at UVic's Hour of Code (Dec 13, 2014)
- since 2004
Drupal Content Management System
- since 2010
- UVic Community Mapping Collaboratory
- 2012 (UVic Geog329)
- Viewing & Touring Historic Fort Victoria
- 2012 (UVicGeog 329)
- Created Arc Gis Toolboxes to Automate Some Steps