Faculty of Social Sciences : Department of Political Science
For general advice on program planning and information about current course offerings, students should visit the department’s web page <www.uvic.ca/socialsciences/politicalscience>. Information is also available at the Departmental Office, Room A316, David Turpin Building. For more particular planning assistance, especially with respect to the Major Program, students should arrange to see one of the department’s Undergraduate Advisers (250-472-5458).
Students wishing to be admitted to the Honours program must contact the Political Science Honours adviser in writing no later than May 31 preceding the year in which they wish to take POLI 338 and 339, and be admitted to third-year Honours. Admission decisions will be made by the Honours adviser no later than the beginning of winter-session registration (in late June). POLI 338 and 339 normally are taken in the student’s third year, and 499 in the fourth year. Students are advised that because of limited staff and facilities, it may be necessary to limit enrolment in the Honours program.
Honours students must meet all of the requirements of the Major Program, but also complete an additional 6 units of Political Science courses at the 300 or 400 level, including POLI 338, 339, and 499, for a total of 21units. Of those 21 units, 6 must be chosen from one of the Groups I-V or be in an area of specialized concentration approved by the Honours Adviser and the student’s supervisor. Honours students should consult with the Adviser when planning their programs for the third and fourth years.
7.5 units of Political Science courses at the 100 and 200 levels, including at least one of POLI 101 and 201, with a grade of at least C+ in each course. It is strongly recommended that these courses be taken during the first two years of a student’s program. Students should take a broad range of courses, including at least one on Canadian politics, one on comparative politics, one on international politics, and one in political theory. Some courses on offer will incorporate material from more than one of these fields.
15 units of Political Science courses at the 300 or 400 level, including at least one of POLI 300A, 300B, or 300C, one course from each of the Groups II-V, and one 400 level course. A course on methods of political analysis (POLI 321, 338, 339, or 351) is strongly recommended. SOSC 300 and EUS 300 are each accepted in lieu of 1.5 units of upper-level POLI coursework.
All 400 level courses in Political Science are seminar courses. They are open only to students registered as Political Science Majors or Honours, or to non-Majors having permission of the department, which will depend on advice from the instructor offering the course.
POLI 211 and 311 with a grade of at least B in each
4.5 units of approved courses on European Politics chosen from: POLI 300A, 300B, 300C, 340, 379, 414 and any of POLI 319, 349 or 433 on (approved) European topics. For other courses, students need permission from the Director of European Studies
EUS 390 (1.5);
See Social Sciences Co-operative Education Programs. he general regulations pertaining to Undergraduate Co-operative Education Programs of the University of Victoria governing all co-operative education students.
Students interested in participating in the Co-op program should normally apply at the beginning of their second year of studies. Students should complete POLI 351 before commencement of their first work term, and must complete it before commencement of their second work term. Applications must be submitted to the Co-op office by the advertised deadlines in September and January. The first work term will normally start eight months after the application deadline. Work terms will normally alternate with study terms thereafter.
To continue with the program, students must maintain a minimum GPA of 5.0 in Political Science and 5.0 overall. To graduate with a Co-operative Education designation, students must satisfactorily complete three work terms and attain a grade of at least B in POLI 351. Each work term is recorded on the student’s official transcript of academic record (as COM, N/X or F/X). A student may withdraw at any time during an academic term from the Political Science Co-op program and graduate with a Political Science BA degree without the Co-op designation.
Work Term Credit By Challenge is permitted in the Political Science Co-op program.