Faculty Admissions : Other Admissions
A student proposing to undertake independent upgrading must consult the academic unit concerned before undertaking independent study as a non-degree student, as admission to the Faculty of Graduate Studies after a year of independent study is not guaranteed.
All such recommendations must be approved by the Dean of Graduate Studies.
Direct admission to doctoral programs is not permitted, but non baccalaureate students in a Master's program may be eligible for transfer to the doctoral program after a minimum of two terms (see Transfer from a Master’s to a Doctoral Program).
The International Office, <www.uvic.ca/international>, provides pre-arrival support, orientation on arrival and ongoing assistance for international students after they have been accepted to study at UVic.
Visiting research students will be registered in either GS 503, Canadian Visiting Research Student (3.0 Units), or in GS 504, International Visiting Research Student (3.0 Units). There are no tuition fees charged for these registrations. Visiting research students will have access to basic research services (e.g. library, e-mail access, computing). Basic student services (e.g. recreation facilities and transit passes) can be arranged provided that the applicable fees are paid by the student.