Hot Potatoes: Principles Guiding Software Development
In addition to the terms of incorporation of Half-Baked Software and related agreements, a number of things guide the development of Hot Potatoes:|
- Target software at average educators with modest web know-how.
- Ensure standard pages work on widely-used versions of NN and IE on Mac and Windows with no special plug-ins, browser configurations, server software or permissions.
- Maintain common standard feature set and interface in Mac and Windows editions.
- Accommodate different kinds of users:
- type in data and click button (data entry)
- above + modify button names, navigation controls, program interface (configuration)
- Comply with international standards as they become established:
- XML for data files
- CSS and XSL style sheets for presentation
- Standards-compliant HTML/XHTML for rendering.
- Keep activity small enough that two people can handle it part time:
- 1 hour per day of university time on university related development
- 1 hour per day (outside work) on administration, other work
- occasional bursts to write new features etc.