GOVERNMENT STREET, (VICTORIA), BEFORE THE REMOVAL OF THE
Vancouver Island had in the year 1843 first been occupied
by the Hudson's Bay Company, a party of whose employees, landing
at Victoria, had settled there, building a fort and laying
the foundation of what became and important trading station.
In 1849, a small dairy at the head of James Bay was the only
building standing outside the fort pickets, which are now
R. C. Mayne, Four Years in British Columbia,