2014 Far Horizons Award for Poetry
The Malahat Review, Canada’s premier literary magazine, invites emerging poets from Canada, the United States, and elsewhere to enter the Far Horizons Award for Poetry. Eligible poets have yet to publish their poetry in book form (a book of poetry is defined to have a length of 48 pages or more). One prize of $1000 (CAD) is awarded. Poets contributing to The Malahat Review have won or been nominated for National Magazine Awards for Poetry and the Pushcart Prize.
The deadline for the 2014 Far Horizons Award for Poetry is May 1, 2014.
Read about our 2012 winner.
- Emerging poets may enter up to three poems per entry.
- Writers who have self-published a book of poetry are considered to have published their poetry in book form and are therefore ineligible to enter the Far Horizons Awards. You are, however, welcome to enter your work in our Open Season Awards.
- Each poem may not exceed 60 lines, excluding spaces between stanzas.
- No restrictions as to subject matter or aesthetic approach apply.
- Entry fee required:
- $25 CAD for Canadian entries;
- $30 US for American entries;
- $35 US for entries from Mexico and outside North America.
- Entrants receive a one-year subscription to The Malahat Review
for themselves or a friend.
- Entries already published, accepted, or submitted elsewhere are ineligible.
- Previous publication is considered to be any appearance in print or online, including on or in a newspaper, newsletter, magazine, anthology, chapbook, book, website, electronic magazine, personal blog, Twitter, or Facebook. Please note that even if the print run or circulation of the print publication where the work has previously appeared is small, this is still considered previous publication. No work that has been excerpted elsewhere is eligible for submission; nor is a work that has been revised since its original publication.
- Entrants’ anonymity is preserved throughout the judging. Contact
information (including an email address) should not appear on
the submission, but on a separate
page that also lists the title of each enclosed poem.
- No submissions will be accepted by email.
- No entries will be returned.
- The winner and finalists will be notified via email.
- Entrants will not be notified separately by letter about the judges’ decisions even if a SASE is included for this purpose.
- Only the winning entry will be published in The Malahat Review’s Fall 2014 issue.
- The winner will be announced on The Malahat's web site and facebook page in July, 2014.
- The winner will be interviewed by a Malahat volunteer. The interview will appear on our website and in Malahat lite, the magazine’s monthly e-newsletter, in September 2014.
- Send entries and enquiries to:
The Malahat Review
Far Horizons Award for Poetry
University of Victoria
P.O. Box 1700
Victoria, B.C. V8W 2Y2
How To Pay
- All entries must be mailed. See guidelines.
- You can pay online or mail your payment with your entry.
- Please enclose your receipt with your contest entry so we can identify your online payment.
Pay by Mail
- By Cheque or Money Order: Enclose a cheque or money order, made out to The Malahat Review, in Canadian or US funds with your entry.
- By Credit Card: Complete our Credit Card Payment Form and enclose it with your entry.